Re: Early access to a console (during runlevel 1)

On Mon, 16 Jun 2014 17:54:13 +0200
Martin Richard <martius@martiusweb.net> wrote:

I don't know if that is possible, but you can setup an
early SSH access.

That's what I read most of the time, but I don't understand why ssh would be able to do what I want and not getty.

If the system needs to run an fsck and if the fsck fails I have always
had it dump me into a recovery shell.  It will ask for the root
password in that case.  Enter the root password and you will have a
console in which to manually run the fsck.  Does this not happen for you?

In fact fsck or the mount operation before fsck stalls (usually because of xfs), so I never get to the recovery shell.
The thing is, I hoped to find a way to watch and debug what happens after initramfs is loaded.

I'll explore the ssh solution, see if starting a daemon in the initramfs can give me what I want.

Thank you for your replies.

Cheers,
Martin