Re: Early access to a console (during runlevel 1)

Bzzzz wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> > What practical alternative suggestion do you have in response?
>
> First, try to understand why fsck has failed; is it
> "just a small error"?, may be due to a power failure,
> or is it a big failure? may be due to the HD falling
> apart.
> What exactly failed, etc.

Okay.  That is constructive.  Let's assume it was a power failure
causing a dirty file system.  It needs an fsck in order to be clean
for the mount.

> Erasing error output just doesn't erase the cause,
> and the cause might be very dangerous to the system's
> health…

Erasing the error output?  Why are you erasing error output?  I never
suggested any such thing.

> This also means more frequent FS checks ("I'm waiting
> for hours fsck to complete" IS NOT a good excuse).

Huh?  What?  Huh?  What are you talking about?  I suggested setting
FSCKFIX=yes and that most certainly has nothing to do with long fsck
check times nor with more frequent checks.  Why did you suggest that?

> Now, if you think your way's the best, keep on going to the bottom
> of it, and just replace fsck with an empty script that always
> returns 1.

That is a classic "straw man" fallacy.

  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

Somehow you have mutated my suggestion of fixing the problem with
ignoring the problem.  Ignoring is very, very bad.  Why would you even
suggest ignoring the problem?  I know I didn't suggest ignoring the
problem.

I suggest setting FSCKFIX=yes so that the problem of a dirty file
system at boot time will be attempted to be fixed automatically.  That
is very far away from your suggestion to ignore it.

Sorry but I think you have taken this discussion off into the weeds.

Bob