Re: Early access to a console (during runlevel 1)

Martin Richard wrote:
> I would like to configure an access to a console during runlevel 1.The idea
> is that sometimes, checkfs (performed at runlevel 1) may hang, and I'd like
> to have access to a terminal to confirm.

If the system needs to run an fsck and if the fsck fails I have always
had it dump me into a recovery shell.  It will ask for the root
password in that case.  Enter the root password and you will have a
console in which to manually run the fsck.  Does this not happen for you?

> I tried to start getty on a tty as soon as possible in inittab but it does
> not work as expected.

I also don't think that is possible.

> Any idea is welcome !

Edit the /etc/default/rcS file and set:

  FSCKFIX=yes

That will automatically run "fsck -y" at boot time.  See the
/etc/init.d/checkroot.sh script for the implementation details.  This
will avoid being stuck at boot time waiting for interaction with fsck
on the console.  I think that will solve your problem.  I set this on
all of my systems.

Bob