Re: Package system totaly a complete mess

On 06/09/2014 11:45 AM, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
On Lu, 09 iun 14, 08:35:44, Dalios wrote:

# apt-get clean && apt-get autoclean && apt-get autoremove && apt-get update
&& apt-get upgrade && apt-get dist-upgrade

A few comments:
- autoclean after clean is redundant
- I don't think clearing your cache *before* the upgrade is such a good
   idea especially on testing (and really dangerous on sid). When (not
   "if") something goes wrong you can still downgrade packages using
   dpkg, even if you network is down, system is unbootable, etc.

Especially for testing and unstable (but even on stable it can't hurt) I
would recommend the following [use the tool you feel more comfortable
with, I'll use the new 'apt' command because it's shorter ;) ]:

     apt update && apt upgrade && apt dist-upgrade

(be careful about the last one, because it is allowed to remove
packages)

     checkrestart
     service <daemon> restart
     (restart also all other programs that don't have an init script)

checkrestart is in package debian-goodies. Also make sure you reboot if
the kernel was upgraded (you did have a look at the package lists, did
you?). If everything seems to work fine:

     apt-get autoremove # apt doesn't do this yet
     apt-get autoclean

For extra safety set APT::Clean-Installed to "no", because otherwise apt
will remove all packages that are not downloadable any more. While this
happens all the time in testing/sid as package versions are superseded
it will also happen if your last 'update' failed for some reason (e.g.
network was down).

Kind regards,
Andrei

Thank you for you useful comments.

Never tried apt before so after your message I decided to research a little. Searching for info on apt is quite tricky as the web is full of pages on apt-get and aptitude etc. Searching for "apt vs apt-get" returned this reddit thread which is just a day old!
http://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/26q2sm/apt_vs_aptget/

I couldn't find a positive answer to my question so I post it here: Is apt the same as apt-get? In other words does it resolve the dependencies with the same or a different way?

Interestingly the "apt dist-upgrade" is not included in apt's man page! There is the aptitude like "full-upgrade". Both seem to be working though!

Dalios