Re: Package system totaly a complete mess

On 06/08/2014 06:10 PM, The Wanderer wrote:
Likewise FWIW, I invariably use apt-get, because aptitude routinely
recommends dependency-resolution "solutions" which involve not doing
anything like what I requested - and indeed often involve removing the
very package I requested to be installed - whereas I've never seen any
such thing with apt-get.

apt-get may be less controllable and less "smart" than aptitude, but it
still seems to get things right on the first try most of the time,
whereas in my experience aptitude rarely seems to get things right even
by the 20th try - or, in the few cases where I've bothered to keep
saying "no, try to come up with some other solution" that far, the
200th.

Maybe my experience with aptitude is atypical - but it's been consistent
across three computers now, over the course of something like a decade,
give or take. If anything, it's gotten worse in more recent years.

Maybeit's possible to configure aptitude so that it doesn't do that...
but if so, I would think that configuration should be the default,
because as things stand it seems almost worse than useless for anything
but the simplest operations.

- --
    The Wanderer

And I thought that it was that kind of problem only for us less skilled users. In my (newbie) point of view:

On my Stable system:
I use aptitude but it doesn't really matter because the updates are quite few and easy.

On my Testing system:
I used aptitude and the moment it started proposing weird stuff I answered "no" and used apt-get. After a few months I started using only apt-get. In fact every day I only run the command:

# apt-get clean && apt-get autoclean && apt-get autoremove && apt-get update && apt-get upgrade && apt-get dist-upgrade

to have my testing updated.

Once in a while I meet some packages which apt-get says they are being "kept back" where I use aptitude or maybe "apt-get install -f".

Dalios