Package system totaly a complete mess

Hello all,

I've lived for years using synaptic and I am no so used to aptitude - and I
don't want to make mistakes...

Possibly my installation is now in such a state that I should reinstall, but
everything *is* working. Anyway:

- searching for broken packages gives 0 packages in synatiptic but 6 packages
in aptitude.

- marking upgradable packages causes both to want to remove lots of things
(including parts of cups, Gimp, and of cours all my DE).

- If I try to update with aptitude it gives me a liste of packages that should
be "removed because they are no more used", which is nonsense because most of
them ARE in current use.

I am thinking all this comes from the fact that I installed Wheezy with Gnome,
installed another DE, then removed *parts* of gnome, and the system is
thinking because part of Gnome is missing, it should clean up and remove
anything that needs it (the list of removal is long, but does include gftp
and so). Whats more, the system seems not logical, as it wants to remove Gimp
but complains that gimp-data (not to be removed) needs Gimp....

Any way to bring this mess in order?

Thierry