Re: Sawfish and Openbox: was fastest linux distro

On Wed 04 Jun 2014 at 23:56:37 -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:

> Brian wrote:
>
> > Those who use startx etc have some expectation of being provided with
> > uncomplicated correct information.
>
> The 'startx' is basically the "simple" way to start X and to use the
> system supplied defaults.  Which is a good way to get things going for
> the new person who doesn't know what they want or who are happy with
> the defaults.  It isn't required though and after making a few
> customizations I find it easier to just use 'xinit' directly and my
> own full .xinitrc file with only my own choices made there.  (shrug)
>
> > Being told to use ~/.Xdefaults isn't in that category. The sooner
> > any mention of it or .xinitrc in Debian is stamped out the better.
>
> I think use of .Xdefaults isn't as good as .Xresources.  But there
> isn't anything wrong with .xinitrc.  What is your complaint about it?

In spite of my hyperbole it isn't .xinitrc in itself which is the cause
of my discontent but its being presented as being equivalent to
.xsession. It may or may not matter that the /etc/X11/Xsession.d files
in are not used, but not appreciating that this could lead to a
misconfigured or partially working system is one consequence of
following advice which often does not apply to a Debian system. The
Debian Reference gets it right and manages to do so without any mention
of .xinitrc.