Re: Sawfish and Openbox: was fastest linux distro

On Tue 03 Jun 2014 at 13:45:14 -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:

> > Debian doesn't use a .Xdefaults file.
> >
> >    brian@desktop:~$ grep -r Xresources /etc/X11/
> >    /etc/X11/Xsession:SYSRESOURCES=/etc/X11/Xresources
> >    /etc/X11/Xsession:USRRESOURCES=$HOME/.Xresources
>
> True.  But that is the default setting for 'startx'.  And for the
> other xdb graphical login managers.  The .Xdefaults file is still used
> if you avoid using 'startx'.  If you log in and simply use 'xinit'
> without the startx wrapper around it and *don't* use xrdb yourself in
> $HOME/.xinitrc then the $HOME/.Xdefaults is still consulted.  If you
> have ever used xrdb to load resources into memory then .Xdefaults is
> never consulted.  It is rather involved.

The quality of the information in this subthread is impressive. The
fact though is that most users do not avoid startx or a DM. Anyone who
uses xinit has gone to some trouble to avoid either of these two ways of
getting X running. You would expect them to know what they are doing.

Those who use startx etc have some expectation of being provided with
uncomplicated correct information. Being told to use ~/.Xdefaults isn't
in that category. The sooner any mention of it or .xinitrc in Debian is
stamped out the better.

This has been going on for at least 10 years. If only the ~/.Xdefaults
advocates would say why and how they use it - but they never do. X is
versatile but nobody is going to go wrong by using ~/.Xresources.

> I recommend using .Xresources loaded into the xrdb at start time.  It
> makes the most general sense to me.  That way customizations are a
> property of your $DISPLAY and not a property of your $HOME.  But
> either works if you understand the search and merge order.

I think we are singing from the same hymn book but we are on different
pages. :)