Re: Sawfish and Openbox: was fastest linux distro

Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> writes:

> I recommend using .Xresources loaded into the xrdb at start time.  It
> makes the most general sense to me.  That way customizations are a
> property of your $DISPLAY and not a property of your $HOME.  But
> either works if you understand the search and merge order.
>
> Bob

Yeah, I guess when you start X application that run on a remote machine,
it can get ugly really fast when you need to figure what resources will
actually be used if you rely on anything else than .Xresources.

Because, if I understand correctly, it will look for some resources in
files on the remote machine (for example if you set XENVIRONMENT on the
remote server), but for the .Xresources it will will use the values on
the local system.

So yeah, don't complicate your life more than is needed and stick to
.Xresources and xrdb.