Re: systemd situation in Jesssie

On Tue, May 20, 2014 at 6:07 AM, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
> On Tue 20 May 2014 at 09:24:02 +0200, Erwan David wrote:
>> On Mon, May 19, 2014 at 10:14:17PM CEST, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> said:
>>>
>>> You'll have the choice to use sysvinit without logind or to use it
>>> with logind if systemd-shim & co are updated.
>>>
>>> The list of packages depending on logind is likely to grow so the list
>>> of packages that you can install without an alternative is likely to
>>> shrink.
>>
>> Just what I said : it was a lie to speak of default with alternatives,
>> if less than a year after the alternatives are killed.
>
> Perhaps the contents of this mail will engender a more positive
> appreciation of the task ahead and maybe some optimism too:
>
> https://lists.debian.org/87siodzo56.fsf@windlord.stanford.edu
>
> Right, which I've been arguing for already in this thread. I don't think
> we should force this on upgrades. There should be a prompt and an
> opportunity to not change init systems.
> It remains to be seen if we will ship some software with jessie that
> requires systemd be running as the init system, or if people will have the
> time and resources to provide the necessary interfaces with sysvinit or
> other init systems. I certainly hope the latter is the case, and Steve
> felt quite confident it would be, but the work hasn't happened yet, so we
> can't be sure we won't end up in that situation. If that's the case, then
> some software may not work if you choose not to run systemd. But we
> should still prompt and not change without the user's permission.
>
> "Steve" is Steve Langasek, the maintainer of systemd-shim.

When Steve L was confident about systemd-shim, he was hoping that
upstart would win the vote and Ubuntu hadn't decided to transition to
systemd. he might not have the same incentive to work on a post-204
systemd-shim. Especially since he said before the CTTE vote (even
though he is the upstart maintainer) that if systemd were to be
chosen, the focus would have to be on integrating systemd in Debian.