Re: Iceweasel and DRM

On 05/18/2014 10:31 PM, Jerry Stuckle wrote:

> On 5/18/2014 10:21 PM, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
>
>> On 5/19/14, Jerry Stuckle <jstuckle@attglobal.net> wrote:

>>> Actually, you have NO RIGHTS.  You can do only what the content
>>> creators say you can do.
>>
>> I'm guessing you never quite understood the difference between
>> "can" and "may". But hey ... COME ON DOWN SPINNER! The Debian Derby
>>  continues, and everyone's a winner, baby!
>
> Yes, I understand the difference.  The license I grant you to use my
> copyrighted material says what you MAY use it for.  Of course, you
> CAN use it for something else - but you will be in violation of the
> copyright.

What is your basis for claiming this?

As far as I can see, there is no basis in the law for the claim that
copyright grants any control whatsoever over the end user's *use* of the
copyrighted thing. Separate contracts can grant such control, but the
only leverage the copyright holder has in order to persuade someone to
agree to such a contract is the threat to refuse to authorize the
creation of a copy. (Or possibly the threat to refuse to create more
things in the future, but that would exist even without copyright.)

If the copy has already been created and has been transferred to the
user (as in the case of, e.g., a physical DVD), and no further copies
are going to be created, and the end user has not agreed to a contract
limiting their use of the copy, what is there to either limit such use
or require them to agree to such a contract?

- --
   The Wanderer

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.