Re: Will Iceweasel stay open source?

On 16/05/14 05:20, Eelis wrote:

>>> No restrictions?
>>
>> That's correct. It's a sandbox. The sandbox restricts the close
>> plugin. *You* are only restricted in how you can *playback* media
>> encrypted by the plugin. *If* you choose to install it (and why
>> would you?).
>
> The article talks about "preventing users from saving the content".
> That's content that the closed-source CDM plugin decrypted and passed
> on to Firefox, isn't it?

Yes.
(sigh, it's 5:30am here, I'm tired)
Perhaps the article and I haven't been clear - the sandbox is the big
change. In itself all it does is restrict the plugin (protect *your*
privacy from the closed source plugin).
The sandbox is Open Source.

Firefox/Iceweasel won't include the plugin, just as they don't include
Fffflash or Java (or Silverlight).

Some CDNs will implement the DRM extension in HTML5. To view their
content you will need to install the plugin. At that point your ability
to reuse that CDNs media becomes restricted.

You can uninstall the plugin at anytime. I suspect like Ffflash and Java
you'll be able to disable it. I'd be very surprised if it stopped people
copying the media - none of the other DRM schemes have worked (gotta
decrypt sometime to play the media).

So yes, *if* you install the plugin, any media that *requires* the
plugin will be restricted by the plugin.
If you buy a blueray (and can't operate a soldering iron) you are
restricted by it's DRM. It's a copyright thing (and a failing business
model) - we respect theirs (closed) so they have to respect ours (open).
They use DRM to restrict their market - don't be their market and
another market will open (as it has with music).

Regards