Re: Problems getting Debian DVD to work (Re: Confusion)

On Sun, 11 May 2014 12:40:58 +0300
Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Vi, 09 mai 14, 19:50:18, Steve Litt wrote:
> >
> > > I think John is asking whether Josh burned the ISO file onto the
> > > DVD rather than (correctly) the DVD image contained in the ISO
> > > file.
> >
> > Thanks Testosticore,
> >
> > At this point, I think we should all forget I asked that question,
> > because neither your explanation nor Joel Rees' explanation caused
> > me to understand this distinction, and yet:
> >
> > 1) It seems like everyone else understands it
> >
> > 2) In spite of my complete unknowledge of the difference between
> > these two words, I can convert an iso or a udf to an optical disc,
> > and I can convert an optical disc to an iso or udf (as
> > appropriate), so my mental block isn't hurting me.
>
> Let me try to explain it:
>
> - if you do it right, when mounting the disk you will see a bunch of
>   files and/or directories (assuming a Debian .iso)
> - if you do it wrong, when mounting the disk you will see just
> an .iso file
>
> Hope this explains,
> Andrei

Hi Andrei,

I'm trying to suppress laughter while I type this. Are you saying that
there was a suspicion that somebody used what, xfburn, to put a single
file on an optical disc, and that single file was the .iso intended to
put an iso9660 or UDF filesystem on the optical disc?

How would one even do that? And how would they not know they did it?

By the way, here's an article on .iso files and images:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_image

SteveT