Re: Problems getting Debian DVD to work (Re: Confusion)

On Sat, 10 May 2014 05:44:11 +0800
Testosticore <testosticore@openmailbox.org> wrote:

> On Saturday, 10 May, 2014 12:13 AM, Steve Litt wrote:
> > On Fri, 09 May 2014 09:54:04 -0500

> > [clip]

> >> Well I'm gonna ask the obvious:
> >> Did you burn it as a ".iso file" or did you burn it as an image,

[clip]

> > What's the difference between an image and an .iso?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > SteveT
> >
> > Steve Litt                *  http://www.troubleshooters.com/
> > Troubleshooting Training  *  Human Performance

> I think John is asking whether Josh burned the ISO file onto the DVD
> rather than (correctly) the DVD image contained in the ISO file.

Thanks Testosticore,

At this point, I think we should all forget I asked that question,
because neither your explanation nor Joel Rees' explanation caused me
to understand this distinction, and yet:

1) It seems like everyone else understands it

2) In spite of my complete unknowledge of the difference between these
   two words, I can convert an iso or a udf to an optical disc, and I
   can convert an optical disc to an iso or udf (as appropriate), so my
   mental block isn't hurting me.

I think everyone has little dark corners of stupid tucked away in the
far reaches of their brains, and we've just stumbled upon one of mine,
but it's not hurting the way I compute.

:-) And Joel, I wasn't sandbagging or being rhetorical, I really don't
know, and I can totally understand consternation as you watch me work
with iso's (and presumably images) without understanding the
difference. :-)

AND, given my situation, it appears the original subject of this thread
turned out to be exactly true. I have to end this email now before a
break a rib laughing.

Thanks,

SteveT