Re: One of those threads, old stuff: was Confusion

On 05/11/2014 10:41 AM, Steve Litt wrote:

> On Sun, 11 May 2014 15:13:21 +0900 Joel Rees <joel.rees@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, May 11, 2014 at 10:03 AM, Joshua Anthony
>> <janfany@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

>>> I confess to much ignorance of technical detail - despite 45
>>> years as a computer support engineer, programmer and technical
>>> writer, I still find a lot of stuff hard to grasp. ie. I am old
>>> and lazy and think GUI is a gift from heaven. So would you, if
>>> you'd started out punching ten words of machine code onto paper
>>> tape in order to start up a mainframe system - long before there
>>> was any form of visual display.
>>
>> Hey can we start one of those those threads? I think the
>> teletype/paper tape terminal we used in high school to interface
>> with the IMSAI box we built. (Much gratitude to a teacher who used
>> a lot of his own money to make that possible for us.) So you've got
>> me beat by about ten years. But, yeah, Univac 1100 with punched
>> card readers and less main memory than my M6800 prototyping board,
>> my first year in the community college's EDP courses. IBM System 34
>> at my summer job.
>
> Oh, there we go! I was late to the party, so my first computer was a
> Heathkit ET6800 Microprocessor Trainer:
>
> http://www.troubleshooters.com/lpm/200610/200610.htm#_Computers_Ive_Known_and_Loved

The first computer I remember actually using was either an Apple //c or
a blocky integrated-monochrome-monitor Macintosh.

Unless you count my few and poor attempts (at an age not above, and
probably fairly low in, the single digits) to play video games on what
amounts, in modern terms, to a Texas Instruments video-game console. I
don't recall what it was called, but I believe it was cartridge-based...

I didn't get into computers far enough to know any of the details of
what I was working with until much later, sometime in the early oughts.

- --
   The Wanderer

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.