Re: Problems getting Debian DVD to work (Re: Confusion)

On 05/11/2014 10:57 AM, Steve Litt wrote:

> On Sun, 11 May 2014 12:40:58 +0300 Andrei POPESCU
> <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Vi, 09 mai 14, 19:50:18, Steve Litt wrote:

>>> At this point, I think we should all forget I asked that
>>> question, because neither your explanation nor Joel Rees'
>>> explanation caused me to understand this distinction, and yet:
>>>
>>> 1) It seems like everyone else understands it
>>>
>>> 2) In spite of my complete unknowledge of the difference between
>>> these two words, I can convert an iso or a udf to an optical
>>> disc, and I can convert an optical disc to an iso or udf (as
>>> appropriate), so my mental block isn't hurting me.
>>
>> Let me try to explain it:
>>
>> - if you do it right, when mounting the disk you will see a bunch of
>>   files and/or directories (assuming a Debian .iso)
>> - if you do it wrong, when mounting the disk you will see just
>> an .iso file
>>
>> Hope this explains,
>> Andrei
>
> Hi Andrei,
>
> I'm trying to suppress laughter while I type this. Are you saying
> that there was a suspicion that somebody used what, xfburn, to put a
> single file on an optical disc, and that single file was the .iso
> intended to put an iso9660 or UDF filesystem on the optical disc?
>
> How would one even do that? And how would they not know they did it?

Through a "drag and drop"-style file-copying GUI, which handles the
necessary ISO-filesystem creation transparently in the background, and
then writes that newly created ISO to the disc.

I don't know whether any such exist for Linux (though I'd be mildly
surprised if none did), but AFAIK that's been standard behavior for
Windows Explorer for at least the majority of a decade now. It's a
common enough mistake for Windows users to make, when trying to burn an
ISO to disc, that it's worth asking about as an early troubleshooting step.

In this case, the OP wasn't using Windows, but that wasn't clear before
the question was raised.

- --
   The Wanderer

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.