Re: Personal Recommendations for Free List Compatible Email Service

On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 11:23 AM, Ralf Mardorf
<ralf.mardorf@rocketmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2014-04-24 at 09:26 -0400, Tom H wrote:
>> On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 10:16 AM, Ralf Mardorf <kde.lists@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> On Wed, 2014-04-23 at 14:08 +0000, MAILER-DAEMON@yahoo.com wrote:

>>> OK, now this doesn't work anymore :D. However, not only the providers
>>> are bad, Debian sees mail as spam, that isn't spam.
>>>
>>> I suspect the end of mailing lists is near :(. More and more people run
>>> into issues when using mailing lists. The bad, without mailing lists
>>> Linux will die!
>>
>> I like your overgeneralization and overdramatization!
>>
>> Thinking that lists will die because the mail providers that you're
>> choosing are having issues doesn't mean that lists will die. I suspect
>> that there are far more (FAR MORE) people who aren't having problems
>> posting to d-u than people who are.
>
> This likely is an overdramatization I made, but I guess that indeed more
> people have issues than you think.

AFAIR, this list has a few thousand users and barely a handful have complained.

>> Thinking that Linux will die once lists die is counting without forums
>> and ask.ubuntu.com- and stackexchange.com-type discussions thingies.
>> I'm not a fan of either of these formats but I'd adapt if need be to
>> them or to yet another model.
>
> Assumed the overdramatization wouldn't be an overdramatization, then I'm
> right and you're mistaken. Kernel development unlikely would be possible
> by a forum, by ask.ubuntu.com etc.. Assumed there would be no mailing
> lists, then it would be the end of Linux.

LKML is a work list and this list is, relative to it, a chit-chat
list. If mailing lists were to become unusable, LKML would switch very
quickly to something else; its users wouldn't be happy about the
change but everyone'd adapt quickly in order to carry on with kernel
development.