Re: Personal Recommendations for Free List Compatible Email Service

On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 01:56:28PM +0100, Lisi Reisz wrote:
> On Wednesday 23 April 2014 13:22:25 Henning Follmann wrote:

[...]

> > > I don't know how useful such marketing info will be on correspondence
> > > from a few technically oriented mail lists.  Google probably gets way
> > > better info from Chrome. ;-)  Although from the ads I see, I think
> > > the algorithm is very badly broken.  It has yet to correctly determine
> > > even my gender.
> >
> > So you think they only look at the content of the mail?
> > They can read that already without you having an account with them.
> > Or do they track
> > - how often and when you check your mail
> > - how often you reply
> > - the location from where you are checking?
> >
> > The algorithm is not broken. It is big data. That is the crux with
> > statistics there is no factual link between cause and effects. It's just
> > hedging you bets. So you don't fit their statistical modeling. Good (or
> > bad) for you. Here is the scary part, they actually might know more about
> > your future than you do and the ads are dead on. You yet do not even know
> > about your sex change in two years ;)
>
> I don't get any ads.
>
> Lisi

Pointless and wrong too. The fact that the ads don't make it to your screen
doesn't mean you are not targeted.

See the point I am trying to make here: our "free" culture has a very high
social price. The fact that you do not pay for google, facebook, twitter,
etc. does not mean they are free.
And tools like the debian project allow us to make decisions to work
against these social inequities. And maybe sometimes it is worth paying
money for some things to get some freedom back. The internet was at it
inception a very decentralized idea. Today it is massively centralized.
Especially breaking the communication part back open is a very important
part for a free and open society. This is also why I do not like gmail,
yahoo, fb so much. But everybody has to make his/her own decisions.

-H