Re: Personal Recommendations for Free List Compatible Email Service

On Thu, 2014-04-24 at 15:40 -0400, Tom H wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 11:23 AM, Ralf Mardorf
> <ralf.mardorf@rocketmail.com> wrote:

> >> I like your overgeneralization and overdramatization!
> >>
> >> Thinking that lists will die because the mail providers that you're
> >> choosing are having issues doesn't mean that lists will die. I suspect
> >> that there are far more (FAR MORE) people who aren't having problems
> >> posting to d-u than people who are.
> >
> > This likely is an overdramatization I made, but I guess that indeed more
> > people have issues than you think.
>
> AFAIR, this list has a few thousand users and barely a handful have complained.

Unlikely that people are only subscribed to this list, that's why assume
that many users have at least issues caused by their provider, with some
mailing lists.

> >> Thinking that Linux will die once lists die is counting without forums
> >> and ask.ubuntu.com- and stackexchange.com-type discussions thingies.
> >> I'm not a fan of either of these formats but I'd adapt if need be to
> >> them or to yet another model.
> >
> > Assumed the overdramatization wouldn't be an overdramatization, then I'm
> > right and you're mistaken. Kernel development unlikely would be possible
> > by a forum, by ask.ubuntu.com etc.. Assumed there would be no mailing
> > lists, then it would be the end of Linux.
>
> LKML is a work list and this list is, relative to it, a chit-chat
> list. If mailing lists were to become unusable, LKML would switch very
> quickly to something else; its users wouldn't be happy about the
> change but everyone'd adapt quickly in order to carry on with kernel
> development.

True, the developers would get addresses by some institutions of higher
education or something like this, but user feedback still is important
for the development.