Re: Sudo Autoremove wanting to kill my system?

On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 01:22:40AM +0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Ma, 22 apr 14, 22:56:27, Lisi Reisz wrote:

> Unfortunately this may not have the desired effect with at least Gnome,
> due to circular Depends/Recommends of the installed packages. Besides,
> recently[1] meta-packages have been getting special treatment, i.e.
> their dependencies get marked as manually installed, in order to prevent
> the old "I tried to remove a package and now my entire Desktop
> Environment was removed".

This seems an odd choice to make. If I installed a meta-package because
I couldn't be bothered to investigate which individual packages I
wanted, or just wanted to explore the whole package, then decide I don't
want that package, so remove the meta-package, nothing now gets removed?

> I still don't understand why Developers insist on using Depends instead
> of Recommends for meta-packages.

Indeed. Anything that isn't core functionality should at most be a
Recommends relation and much of what is in a meta-package could probably
even be a Suggests relation.

> > But I don't quite see why you wanted to remove it.  There is nothing
> > wrong with having 2 desktops available, unless you have a very small
> > hard drive.
>
> Agreed.

If there is a package on my systems which I know nobody uses it gets
removed, simply because it doesn't need to be there. But then, I come
from an age when every byte mattered and think if people were as frugal
now as they were then our modern systems would perform even better than
they already do.

Cheers,
Tom

--