Re: Sudo Autoremove wanting to kill my system?

On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 8:56 AM, Tom Furie <tom@furie.org.uk> wrote:
> This seems an odd choice to make. If I installed a meta-package because
> I couldn't be bothered to investigate which individual packages I
> wanted, or just wanted to explore the whole package, then decide I don't
> want that package, so remove the meta-package, nothing now gets removed?

It's a bit odd either way. Let's suppose you install Debian Squeeze
(again, I don't know where the policy changed, but I know it was since
Squeeze), and then decide that you don't want (say) Open Office. You
uninstall it, but since there was a metapackage "gnome" (if I have the
name right) that depended on it, apt-get removes that package. And
then everything else that was installed from that metapackage is now
free to be removed, right? Along with everything else that was pulled
in by them.

Maybe there should be special handling only of the initial install, I
don't know... some way of saying "a fresh Debian system won't burn
itself up when you remove one piece", without changing all
metapackages. But I'm not an expert here, and I assume the change went
through a thorough process of discussion.

ChrisA