Re: Heartbleed

On Sat, 19 Apr 2014 14:33:43 +1000
Scott Ferguson <scott.ferguson.debian.user@gmail.com> wrote:

> Perhaps the solution is not greater bureaucracy to safeguard data
> ignorance,

I certainly wasn't suggesting bureaucracy, my country has more than
enough already, and we all know that laws are framed to allow
governments to do exactly what they forbid other people to do.

> but greater personal responsibility and a reassessment of
> what privacy "rights" are unreasonable expectations?

I was suggesting that perhaps many people are leaking more information
about themselves than they think, a lot of it with long expiry dates.
I don't really care about people knowing that I was a Scout in my
childhood, or what I bought in one of my local supermarkets last week,
but I'd rather not publish the list of organisations I belonged to last
week. (No, there aren't any embarrassing ones, but that's not the
point).

Collectively that leaked data could cause unexpected harm to them,
either financially or otherwise. Yes, 'responsibility'. Every now and
then, I Google my full name in various combinations, and no personal
reference to me ever appears in at least the first ten pages. I like it
that way.

We may have wandered off the point.

--
Joe