Re: Heartbleed

On Fri, 18 Apr 2014 07:48:13 -0500
John Hasler <jhasler@newsguy.com> wrote:

> Karl E. Jorgensen writes:
> > Obviously, they had no need to save the actual *traffic*, merely the
> > access point MAC address, signal strength and streetview car
> > location to do this.
>
> In any case, the traffic was broadcast into public space.

As is the light originating inside peoples' homes and passing out of
their windows. In which case it is arguable that it is perfectly
acceptable to collect and record that light with a camera without
asking the permission of those who own the home and/or who have
modified the light...

 ...which was my point. I'm constantly amazed (I'm not a security
expert) when network information I would consider pretty harmless is
gathered and used to obtain access to the network. It seems to me that
a lot of information which can be routinely gathered and seems
individually harmless might well be used for wrongdoing, either by
public or private organisations.

--
Joe