Re: Debian repository available on USB flash rather than CD/DVD sets?

On Sun, Feb 23, 2014 at 02:39:33AM -0600, Richard Owlett wrote:
> Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
> >[SNIP]

> >Can you afford two USB sticks - one 32G and one 64G?
>
> Wrong question <ROFL>
> I accumulate so many that I'm looking for a feasible method of
> storing them so I can quickly, easily and reliably retrieve the
> desired stick.
>
> Any proposed "solution" involving the internet is *UNACCEPTABLE*
> !!!!!
> would YOU like to download ~40 GB via 56k modem (jigdo or not)?
> <*SNICKER*>
>

> THEREFORE any acceptable solution must either:
>      identify in country vendor supplying preloaded USB sticks
> <unlikely>
>                                OR
>      begin with complete set of physical install DVDs <which I have
> on my desk ;>
>

> --

Richard,

You've got the 10 DVDs. Please go and get 2 x USB sticks and follow some of the previous steps that I outlined above.

Since you have all 10 disks and jigdo-lite can use DVDs as a source of files.

As root

Place DVD1 in the disk tray on your machine.

	mount -o loop -t iso9660 /dev/dvd /mnt

[If at that point you were to cd /mnt, you would see the files inside the DVD].

Download the template and jigdo files for the BD1 as suggested before.

	jigdo-lite debian-7.4.0-i386-BD-1.jigdo

Using jigdo-lite, one of the options it offers is to use files contained on an old DVD / mount point. Enter /mnt

When that completes, you should have 1/10 of the files you need. Umount /mnt, insert disk2, mount as before and repeat

	jigdo-lite debian-7.4.0-i386-BD-1.jigdo

At the end of it all after 5 DVDS, you should end up with a 22G BD.iso and checksums matching. At that point, you can dd it to a stick and proceed
as above.

You can repeat the procedure to get the templates and to generate BD2 with DVDs 6-10.

[For reference, I've done more or less just this, except that I used a .iso file for DVD1 rather than a physical DVD to get hold of the first 3600 files matching the
BD template ]

For any machines needing non-free firmware (if required): you will need the -wheezy firmware files to match any files that are missing: for my machine in the next room, for example, I need
firmware-realtek so you would download from

ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/non-free/f/firmware-nonfree/firmware-realtek_0.36+wheezy.1_all.deb

	ar -x

run on the .deb will unpack the .deb [Probably good to create a temporary directory to do this in]

This creates a control.tar.gz, a data.tar.gz and a debian-binary text file. The firmware you need is in the data.tar.gz

	tar -zxvf data.tar.gz

producing a lib/firmware/ hierarchy containing the .fw files. Write these to the root directory of the second stick with the vfat filesystem and insert the
stick when prompted for non-free firmware.

Hope this helps you, sir,

All the best,

AndyC