Re: Wheezy and parallel port

On Wed 19 Feb 2014 at 10:50:14 +0100, francesco scaglione wrote:

> root@desk:~# lsmod | grep par
> parport_pc             22364  0
> parport                31858  3 lp,ppdev,parport_pc

The needed modules are loaded.

> [   16.498771] ppdev: user-space parallel port driver

No sign of the parport (or lp) module being loaded when booting. ppdev
depends on parport so this is worrying.

> root@desk:~# cat /etc/default/cups
> # Cups configure options
>
> # LOAD_LP_MODULE: enable/disable to load "lp" parallel printer driver
> # module
> LOAD_LP_MODULE=yes

The lp module also depends on parport. It looks like CUPS is a getting
parport loaded.

> root@desk:~# ls -l /dev/lp*
> ls: impossible d'accéder à /dev/lp*: Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce
> type
> ---
> root@desk:~# ls -l /dev/parport*
> ls: impossible d'accéder à /dev/parport*: Aucun fichier ou dossier de
> ce type

No devices created. This doesn't happen on my up-to-date Wheezy machine
with a stock kernel; have you got the same setup?

There are BIOS settings for the parallel port; you could see whether
altering them makes any difference. The cable and its connections might
also be worth looking at.