Wheezy and parallel port

On a newly installed Wheezy machine I'm desperately trying to
configure an old HP LaserJet 6P printer connected to the parallel
port.

The card is well recognized, it seems:

francesco@desk:~$ lspci -vv

[...]

03:00.0 Parallel controller: NetMos Technology Device 9900 (prog-if 03
[IEEE1284])
        Subsystem: Device a000:2000
        Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop-
ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
<TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
        Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 32 bytes
        Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 5
        Region 0: I/O ports at dc00 [size=8]
        Region 1: I/O ports at d880 [size=8]
        Region 2: Memory at feaff000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)
[size=4K]
        Region 5: Memory at feafe000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)
[size=4K]
        Capabilities: <access denied>

-----

But this is what I get when I launch hplip:

francesco@desk:~$ hp-setup -i

HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.12.6)
Printer/Fax Setup Utility ver. 9.0

Copyright (c) 2001-14 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, LP
This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.

(Note: Defaults for each question are maked with a '*'. Press <enter>
to accept the default.)

--------------------------------
| SELECT CONNECTION (I/O) TYPE |
--------------------------------

  Num       Connection  Description
            Type
  --------  ----------
  0*        usb         Universal Serial Bus (USB)
  1         net         Network/Ethernet/Wireless (direct connection
or JetDirect)
  2         par         Parallel Port (LPT:)

Enter number 0...2 for connection type (q=quit, enter=usb*) ? 2

Using connection type: par

error: No device selected/specified or that supports this
functionality.

-----

Since I don't see /lp0 in my /dev, I've come to think that this
could be a problem of udev, non creating the right device.

Actually, I've found a couple of bugs that might concern my
installation as well. This is an older one:

while this is quite recent:

-----

Has anybody stumbled on the same problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Francesco