Re: Wheezy and parallel port

On 20 Feb 2014 à 13:00, Brian wrote:
> On Wed 19 Feb 2014 at 10:50:14 +0100, francesco scaglione wrote:
>
> > root@desk:~# lsmod | grep par
> > parport_pc             22364  0
> > parport                31858  3 lp,ppdev,parport_pc
>
> The needed modules are loaded.
>
> > [   16.498771] ppdev: user-space parallel port driver
>
> No sign of the parport (or lp) module being loaded when booting. ppdev
> depends on parport so this is worrying.
>
> > root@desk:~# cat /etc/default/cups
> > # Cups configure options
> >
> > # LOAD_LP_MODULE: enable/disable to load "lp" parallel printer driver
> > # module
> > LOAD_LP_MODULE=yes
>
> The lp module also depends on parport. It looks like CUPS is a getting
> parport loaded.
>
> > root@desk:~# ls -l /dev/lp*
> > ls: impossible d'accéder à /dev/lp*: Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce
> > type
> > ---
> > root@desk:~# ls -l /dev/parport*
> > ls: impossible d'accéder à /dev/parport*: Aucun fichier ou dossier de
> > ce type
>
> No devices created. This doesn't happen on my up-to-date Wheezy machine
> with a stock kernel; have you got the same setup?
>
> There are BIOS settings for the parallel port; you could see whether
> altering them makes any difference. The cable and its connections might
> also be worth looking at.

Thanks again Brian!

Well, actually I had found this:

---
What is your parallel port configured as in your BIOS?

Go into your system BIOS (follow your system documentation) and check
that your parallel port is configure for ECP mode.
---

here:

http://hplipopensource.com/node/217
---

But since my machine (HP Compact dx2400 Microtower) didn't come with a
parallel port, there's nothing about that in the Bios.

I've myself added a small card with such port:

---

03:00.0 Parallel controller: NetMos Technology Device 9900 (prog-if 03
[IEEE1284])
        Subsystem: Device a000:2000
        I/O ports at dc00 [size=8]
        I/O ports at d880 [size=8]
        Memory at feaff000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
        Memory at feafe000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
        Capabilities: [50] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
        Capabilities: [80] Express Legacy Endpoint, MSI 00
        Capabilities: [100] Virtual Channel
        Capabilities: [800] Advanced Error Reporting

---

But how could I verify whether or not it is "in ECP mode"? How would I
configure that card? Shall I look for a "swith" on the motherboard?

Beside, the same card with the same printer and the same cable worked
under xp.

Francesco