Re: FW: [CTTE #727708] Default init system for Debian

On Wednesday, February 12, 2014 04:50:49 PM Gian Uberto Lauri wrote:
> Ralf Mardorf writes:
>  > If we like it or dislike it, sysvinit / init scripts are dead.
>
> Sounds like a Bad News(TM).

Why bad news? SysV init's been dead through most of the rest of *nix-land
(Even most certified Unixen don't use it anymore.). Why do we need to stick
with it? And initscripts are a slow and overcomplicated way to start up a
system (With more than its share of technical problems.). It's much better to
boot up via configuration, not scripting: Easier to maintain, much faster, and
much more flexible.

Not to mention it's a modern feature Linux could make good use of. SysV's been
a dead-end option for a long time now, it just took this long for viable
alternatives to mature for Linux.

Conrad