Re: Check config files on upgrade (was ... Re: Gnome 3 fail scenario)

On Sun, Jan 26, 2014 at 11:59:28AM +0000, Brad Rogers wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Jan 2014 00:39:47 +1300
> Chris Bannister <cbannister@slingshot.co.nz> wrote:
>
> Hello Chris,
>
> >keep my own version of the config file, which led to my crisis.
> >Now if I had known to compare the new '/etc/vim/vimrc' with my one ...
>
> IDK what it was like then, but nowadays you're asked if you wish to view
> the differences between old and new configs if it's relevant.  Of course,
> you'd still have to know that accepting changes (or not) may have a
> detrimental effect.

I think that is a fairly recent change. But, if the version change is
dramatic, e.g. 7.x -> 8.x, then warning bells should go off and there
should be a good look at the changes, otherwise I'd expect a change from
7.x -> 7.(x+1) :)

But really, you dont't even need to look at the differences, on install
because there is a copy made which you can then look at later, using
vimdiff (unless the package is vim :)  )

oppressing." --- Malcolm X