Check config files on upgrade (was ... Re: Gnome 3 fail scenario)

On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 07:53:28PM -0500, Bob Bernstein wrote:
> Why oh why do I ever choose the package maintainer's config for a
> package I have already config'd? It's one of those questions that
> plagues perennial philosophy. But I digress...

It can bite you both ways! e.g. if a major new version or even a
complete revamp of the configs happens then *IF* you don't install the
maintainers config, there will be trouble! Yes I'm looking at you vim¹
and sudo.

The point to note is that no matter what option you choose, there is a
copy of the new or old config placed in the same directory.

e.g. /etc/lynx-cur/lynx.cfg.dpkg-old

¹ I was bitten by a major change in the vim packaging on an upgrade from
Sarge to Etch (I think(?)) I googled high and low, tried all sorts of
wrong advice (install vim-full, was one). Eventually, I found that there
was a complete revamp of how vim sourced its config files. I accepted to
keep my own version of the config file, which led to my crisis.
Now if I had known to compare the new '/etc/vim/vimrc' with my one ...

JFTR, this was added:

" This line should not be removed as it ensures that various options are
" properly set to work with the Vim-related packages available in Debian.
runtime! debian.vim

oppressing." --- Malcolm X