Re: systemd hanging on ls -l /media/

SOLVED, I think:

On 12/15/13, Zenaan Harkness <zen@freedbms.net> wrote:
> When I run ls -l /media/, the command hangs. Ctrl-C breaks the hang.

The hang appears to be due to the following combination, in my case:

 the -F option to ls,

 with a directory in the directory being listed,

 which directory is a mount point for a mount listed in /etc/fstab,

 which fstab entry includes the mount option
   "comment=systemd.automount"

 and where the device in question (in my case an external USB HDD)
   is not plugged in
   and therefore cannot be auto-mounted

---
I experienced a very similar situation with systemd and an sshfs mount,
where ls -F simply hung for a totally unreasonable period of time.

---
So, this appears to be quite repeatable, now that I've identified the
combination required to trigger this "hang".

It's the systemd automounter not realising quickly enough (in the case
of a UUID identified external HDD) that the external HDD is not
attached;

and in the case of sshfs, due to the network being involved, can be
forgiven, but is still very user unfriendly.

I guess a little study of systemd automounter is now in order, and
possibly a bug filing.

See also a quite probably similar problem I experienced around the
same time, with update-grub: