Re: sad but true, Linux sucks, a bit

On Thu, 16 Jan 2014 18:58:11 +0100
Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:

> a good knife isn't produced by a computer controlled
> machine, but handcrafted by a craftsman.

But this isn't because a machine can't do the work of a good craftsman
(in some cases today, and in almost any in the future). It's because
it's hard to sell a knife for 250$ when one can buy a reasonably good
one for 20$. Of course, there are some people who can value the 250$
knife but there are more who can't, or didn't have the money. And the
people who can might not buy it when it was made by a machine.

So if your company buys a very expensive robot to produce knifes, what
quality will they produce?

What machines can do nowadays is quite impressive:
http://vimeo.com/3833961
(Kuka robot copies the Gutenberg Bible)

Or think about machines in mills, sorting out single grains of poor
quality while they are falling down like a waterfall into the
millstone granting a better flour quality than you can with dozens of
human workers doing the same.

The downside of robots, yet, is that it takes a lot of time to make
them learn to craft another series of knifes, even if they differs
only in details. But there are already companies selling (industrial
grade) robots you can program by showing them what they should do:
http://www.rethinkrobotics.com/

No to mention the power such robots can have, combined with the
accuracy shown in the vimeo video. The Kuka Titan can lift one metric
ton placing it somewhere in over 3m range with an accuracy of
millimeters:
http://www.kuka-robotics.com/germany/en/pressevents/productnews/NN_titan_+the_worlds_strongest_robot.htm

It's all a matter of costs, or better return of invest. Kuka robots for
example get their paintjobs by humans. We all know robots can handle
paintjobs very well, but Kuka has a very broad range of different
robots and doesn't produce hundreds of each every day. So it's too
expensive, yet, to (re)program the robot, but this is about to change.

Bye.