Re: Wireless Controller Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG in a Dell Inspiron 9300

Ron Leach wrote:
> Lisi Reisz wrote:
> >Ignoring unknown interface eth1=eth1
>
> I had this recently when trying to get a Samsung Galaxy working on a
> USB interface.
>
> Reco's reply (1) to me was helpful, he said:
>
> >That's only means that you lack usb0 definition
> >in /etc/network/interfaces.
>
> so, in your case, the definition for eth1 may be missing from
> /etc/network/interfaces

Stop!  Madness will soon ensue!  :-) :-)

There is a long list of different ways to set up WiFi networking on
Debian machines.  The most popular method is exactly as the above
*without* any listed interfaces in /etc/network/interfaces.  This is
also the default.  Therefore there won't normally be any entries for
wifi devices in /etc/network/interfaces.  But asking the question like
this will lead to adding an entry there for it.  And without
understanding the configuration it will simply cause confusion.

The logs shows wicd was running.  That is great.  By default GNOME and
other things really try hard to pull in NetworkManager.  As any long
time reader of the list knows that is a contentious topic.  For this
point let's just say that it will either be NetworkManager or wicd and
either perform the same function.

There is a long decision tree flowchart of possible wifi
configuration.  How to describe this in text instead of a graphical
flowchart?  Giving it a shot.

At the top level decision point you will *either* control the wifi
through one of the wicd or NM graphical clients *or* you will control
it through the ifupdown command line clients.  One or the other.  The
command line clients are the original way to do it and those use a
configuration in /etc/network/interfaces.  The gui clients wicd and NM
are newer.  How to tell which is which?  It was decided that the newer
GUI clients would control the wifi device only if the device was NOT
listed in /etc/network/interfaces.  Because if it is listed there then
ifupdown controls it.

If someone were to suggest to add an entry to /etc/network/interfaces
then that would cause ifupdown to control it and wicd and NM would
forever ignore it from that point onward.  Except if it wasn't there
when wicd/NM started then they would think they controlled it.  You
would edit the file and change it but wicd/NM is still running from
before and they would continue to try to control the interface.  That
would cause them to fight over it.  It is very frustrating to be
running ifupdown commands and to have wicd/NM in the background
working against you.  Don't do it!  It is safe to reboot after making
changes to guarantee that wicd/NM don't have control of the interface
but rebooting is also quite heavy and can be avoided.

Also while I personally rather like the command line ifupdown process
and configuration I wouldn't recommend it for a newbie.  I am not even
using it myself on my laptop.  On my laptop I am using wicd.  I would
get the wicd configuration working.  I WOULD NOT recommend trying the
/etc/network/interfaces ifupdown configuration on a mobile device.  I
WOULD recommend it if you want a non-mobile headless configuration.
It is perfect there.

> Lisi Reisz wrote:
> > The terminal just says:
> > Ignoring unknown interface eth1=eth1

The terminal?  Was this in response to an 'ifup eth1' command?  If so
that is normal since you want to use wicd and not ifupdown.  The above
is a red-herring.  Ignore it.

Lisi, Do you have both wicd and network-manager installed?  It could
be that they are fighting each other and preventing a connection.

This message is already too long.  Jumping over to another message for
more input.

Bob