Re: Goodbye GNOME, Hello XFCE

On Fri, 2013-12-06 at 14:04 -0800, Gary Roach wrote:
> After reading through this topic I find myself ask what happened to KDE.
> I know its old and is probably bloated. But, with 500 GB of disk space,
> 4GB of RAM and a 4 processor CPU, who cares. Its solid. I like it and
> have never liked Gnome. Am I missing something here?

Yes, some apps, in my case most audio apps, are based on GTK ;). Sure
you can use Kate instead of Gedit, but KDE doesn't provide
everything ;). I'm testing KDE4 again and you can't compare it to Xfce
and LXDE regarding to the needed resources and stability, if you really
use the provided resources of your machine. Oh and FWIW I know how to
get rid of gvfs, but not how to get rid of KDE's green drive killer, IOW
for tuned machines it at least will cause the user a lot of work, by
reading and tweaking to use it as a replacement for Xfce and LXDE.

GNOME2 in the past was similar to Xfce and LXDE.

I agree that KDE4 is better than GNOME3 but users want a successor of
GNOME2 and that definitively isn't KDE4. I switched from KDE3 to GNOME2,
because KDE4 does cause issues.