Wireless Controller Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG in a Dell Inspiron 9300

I am having trouble with a Wireless Controller Intel PRO/Wireless
2200BG in a Dell Inspiron 9300 running a freshly installed Wheezy.
It is not successfully creating a wireless connection.  lsmod reveals
that the module ipw2200 is there.

I use an access list for wireless appliances on my router, and the
correct MAC code for the laptop in question is there.  (I just
checked!)  Ifconfig -a finds the card.

I have googled, with a singular lack of success.  I have installled a
backported kernel.  Nada.  Though, of course, with this card one
might expect an older kernel to be what is needed.  Would it be a
good idea to find and install an _old_ kernel?

I had this card working in Squeeze, without, so far as I can remember,
problems.

Lisi