Re: New install (intel) can't video mode-switch

On 11/27/2013 09:22 PM, Frank Miles wrote:
On Wed, 27 Nov 2013 19:00:03 +0100, Bob Proulx wrote:

Frank Miles wrote:
Bob Proulx wrote:
Frank Miles wrote:
but if I switched out of X to a terminal (Alt-Ctrl-Fn) the system
would crash.  In addition, shutdown would only start, then it would
crash

What graphics card do you have there?

There is no graphics card - the CPU does the graphics.

But if you didn't have a graphics adapter then you wouldn't have
anything to plug the cable to the monitor into!  :-)  Almost certainly
you are using the onboard one.  In this case most likely the Intel
integrated graphics controller.

   lspci
   lspci | grep VGA

You should see some type of graphics controller listed.  Probably an
Integrated controller.  Being integrated onboard it still resides on the
bus.

Yes, of course.  I guess I took your question about a 'card' too literally.
lspci -> VGA compatible controller: Intel corporation Haswell integrated
	graphics controller (rev 06)

Yes, I installed the nonfree firmware excepting a whole lot intended
for wifi devices that aren't in my system.

I would then check 'dmesg' for any errors.  In particular I would look
at the KMS (kernel mode setting) parts.  In recent Linux kernels they
have made massive changes to the console.  It is possible, perhaps even
likely, that the problem is KMS related.

Other than an ACPI 'namespace lookup failure, AE_NOT_FOUND (which occurred
in the past - if I try to boot without the rescue disk it doesn't leave
anything new in the logs).  This makes me suspect a disk-related problem
(for the boot issue, not the video mode-switch), but how or why??  I haven't
seen anything explicit regarding KMS, but I may have missed it - will look
further.

Other than this I have no ideas.  Hopefully someone else will have a
better suggestion.

Bob

Thanks for trying!  I hope so too.

I have similar motherboard - ASUS H87-PRO, but a very kind man explained to me on this list that Haswell video won't work with Wheezy so I'm going to use my old Radeon video until Jessie become stable.

In my opinion your options are:
 - use external/additional video card what is compatible with Wheezy
 - try to use VESA X.org driver with Haswell video
 - upgrade to testing (Jessie)
 - use another Linux distribution
 - check for other options

HTH