Re: New install (intel) can't video mode-switch

On Wed, 27 Nov 2013 07:30:02 +0100, Bob Proulx wrote:

> Frank Miles wrote:
>> This is insane.  I have a new system with an Asus H87M-Pro MB, an intel
>> i4770t. Fresh install of wheezy.  Things seemed mostly functional...
>> but if I switched out of X to a terminal (Alt-Ctrl-Fn) the system would
>> crash.  In addition, shutdown would only start, then it would crash
>> (even if X was never started).
>> If anyone has some spare clues, I could use one about now!  TIA!  Even
>> just where to start, what to look for would be appreciated.
>
> What graphics card do you have there?  This could be any of several
> things.  It sounds like radeon modsetting requiring the nonfree blobs.
> Do you have firmware-linux-nonfree installed?
>
>   http://bugs.debian.org/696571
>
> If that is it then try enabling nonfree in your sources.list file.
>
>   deb http://http.debian.net/debian wheezy main contrib non-free
>
>   apt-get update
>   apt-get install firmware-linux-nonfree
>
> Not sure that lack of firmware-linux-nonfree is the problem but it seems
> like a good possibility.
>
> Bob

There is no graphics card - the CPU does the graphics.  A preliminary check: I
got about 750fps on glxgears, which is plenty as my needs are computational,
not gaming/graphics.

Yes, I installed the nonfree firmware excepting a whole lot intended for
wifi devices that aren't in my system.

  -Frank