Re: New install (intel) can't video mode-switch

Frank Miles wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> > Frank Miles wrote:
> > > but if I switched out of X to a terminal (Alt-Ctrl-Fn) the system would
> > > crash.  In addition, shutdown would only start, then it would crash
> >
> > What graphics card do you have there?
>
> There is no graphics card - the CPU does the graphics.

But if you didn't have a graphics adapter then you wouldn't have
anything to plug the cable to the monitor into!  :-)  Almost certainly
you are using the onboard one.  In this case most likely the Intel
integrated graphics controller.

  lspci
  lspci | grep VGA

You should see some type of graphics controller listed.  Probably an
Integrated controller.  Being integrated onboard it still resides on
the bus.

> Yes, I installed the nonfree firmware excepting a whole lot intended for
> wifi devices that aren't in my system.

I would then check 'dmesg' for any errors.  In particular I would look
at the KMS (kernel mode setting) parts.  In recent Linux kernels they
have made massive changes to the console.  It is possible, perhaps
even likely, that the problem is KMS related.

Other than this I have no ideas.  Hopefully someone else will have a
better suggestion.

Bob