New install (intel) can't video mode-switch

This is insane.  I have a new system with an Asus H87M-Pro MB, an intel
i4770t. Fresh install of wheezy.  Things seemed mostly functional... but if I
switched out of X to a terminal (Alt-Ctrl-Fn) the system would crash.  In
addition, shutdown would only start, then it would crash (even if X was
never started).

I thought that perhaps it needed a newer kernel, so I loaded one from
backports (3.10.0). Now the machine won't even boot.  It gets to about 1.5(sec?)
in "rescue" mode, with the last line "...switching to clocksource tsc".
Then nothing except every 60(sec) it repeats some messages about the USB mouse.
And something has been screwed up so that it will no longer boot with the
old kernel (there were some other programs dragged in with the backported kernel;
and there were some complaints about the Realtek firmware not being loaded,
even when I loaded the nonfree realtek firmware package.

If I use a 'rescue' CD to boot, switching to the machine's own filesystems
(but the kernel is from the CD).    In this mode, I can shutdown correctly.
I still can't switch to a terminal without causing the system to crash
(kernel 3.4.something).

If anyone has some spare clues, I could use one about now!  TIA!  Even just
where to start, what to look for would be appreciated.