Re: testing wants to install systemd

On 11/20/13, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> Hi Zenaan,
>
> I could talk about real issues that are systemd related, but I resist,

Then please also resist "emotive" and "non-technical" attacks.
That is the only reasonable alternative.

Emotional attacks are sometimes forgiven when there is a genuine
technical issue put on the table, but when no technical issue is put
on the table, then an emotional attack is seen (and is on the record
as) baseless (from a technical point of view) and therefore worthy of
disdain.

> since AFAIK there never ever was a useful discussion about systemd.

In which case, if you personally have outstanding useful points to
raise (ie technical issues), then that would be an acceptable
approach; and the emotional non-technical approach is less than
useless in most cases.

> People simply should use and experience it on their own.

This is a fair point. I agree with this.

> Once you should use it again, please let me know how comfortable you're
> with journalctl.

I had a brief play with journalctl, but that was near the end of my
last bout with systemd, when I started hitting the lockups due to (I
suspect) the service port-activation feature combined with filesystem
auto-mounting and dependency auto-stuff that systemd does, in my case
with respect to sshfs - and unfortunately (for the improvement of the
problem) I didn't have time to get deep enough into it to be able to
report a clean enough bug (it really needs a reproducible set up with
VMs - and I am yet to set up/ learn openbox).

With my week long whirlwind self-tour of systemd, I personally
concluded that the way the systemd tools and components work, the
so-simple text declarative service "unit" files, and more, are for me
very appealing indeed.

It is clear to me that systemd is technically superior to Upstart (and
I spent a lot of time reading about both, btw).

I had a long-standing setup on my local LAN, and systemd as at a few
months ago in sid, simply failed for me. Having put so much effort
into it, that was quite disappointing. But I know without doubt that
systemd is the technically superior choice for Linux kernels, and I
fully intend to deploy it exclusively across all the hosts (about 8)
and VMs (about 6) which I admin, on my next foray.

Regards
Zenaan