Re: testing wants to install systemd

On Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 07:19:45PM -0500, Rob Owens wrote:
> I run a testing system that I depend on to get work done on a daily
> basis.  I noticed today that a dist-upgrade wanted to install systemd.
> I've never used systemd -- is there anything to fear?  For those who
> have installed it, does the system handle the switch from the old init
> scripts, or is there a lot of manual intervention and time required?

I've read most of the responses, but not all of them yet.  Thanks to
those who offered suggestions.

I don't use Gnome, but it probably was installed on this system at one
point.  So I'll check and see if there is any Gnome stuff left to purge.

Yes, I'm running testing on a system that I "depend" on.  It's
acceptable for me to have some down time, but I still want to be careful
not to cause myself unnecessary problems.

I will read up on systemd some more, starting with the links posted in
this thread.  I don't know much about it, admittedly, except that it's
gotten some bad press (valid or not, I don't really know).  So I'm
being cautious.

Somebody noted that I can install systemd without replacing the old
init scripts.  That surprised me, but come to think of it the
dist-upgrade did not want to uninstall anything.

I'll keep reading the posts and work on this some more tomorrow.

-Rob