Re: testing wants to install systemd

On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 1:43 PM, Joel Rees <joel.rees@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 10:11 PM, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> If you want to check whether your your system shut down because it was
>> overheating (as someone needed to on fedora-users recently), you can
>> run "journalctl _KERNEL_SUBSYSTEM=thermal".
>
> Thus, Poettering and the systemd crowd have invented a new, ad-hoc
> language for searching log files.
>
> As opposed to ...
>
>> Or you can run journalctl and grep your way to happiness.
>
> ... the established and fairly self-consistent grep search argument languages.
>
> The rpoblem he was trying to solve, I suppose, is that the grep
> approach allowed some flexibility in log generation. With systemd,
> logs will be required to conform, or be unsearchable. Or you could
> also use grep anyway, as long as the logs remain text based. If you
> happen to know what the new logs look like in the part you need to
> look up.

I don't see the problem. Why shouldn't systemd give its users an
alternative way of reading and grepping logs?

"journalctl"             ==  "less /var/log/messages"
"journalctl -n 40"       ==  "tail -n 40 /var/log/messages"
"journalctl | grep foo"  ==  "grep foo /var/log/messages"

Or you can use a journalctl feature for your search, if there is one.

No animals were harmed in coding journalctl!