Re: who uses dual boot? [was: How to start using a free OS]

On 13/11/13 01:46, Scott Ferguson wrote:
On 13/11/13 11:59, José Silva wrote:
On 13/11/13 00:26, Scott Ferguson wrote:
On 13/11/13 09:10, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
On Tue, 2013-11-12 at 21:36 +0100, Alois Mahdal wrote:
1.8GHz dual core and 4G RAM
attempting Win XP in VBox for even the most simple
tasks was a royal PITA.

Then something is fishy.

(Also one reason to keep the Win in the dual-boot manner is that
I have a valid OEM license there, which I believe cannot be
migrated to VM.)

That's incorrect - I've done (automated) many, many times successfully
with all versions of Windoof except the latest. Your biggest problems
will be support for external devices (USB/LP/Com/Firewire) and that's
determined by, correct settings, CPU support.

He probably has an OEM SLP license, married to a key in the original
machine bios, which won't work in the VM because it obviously has a
different bios that doesn't have the key.

Please re-read my post.

You're absolutely right, I hadn't read your very detailed and lengthy post to the end. I'm sorry if I made you jump.

I think there are ways of overcoming this, inserting the "key" in the VM
bios, but I doubt it's legal.

I know, I gave instructions to deal with that (for that reason).

A couple of years ago I investigated this matter as an experiment and, although my memory is not as good as it used to be, I seem to remember that inserting the key (string) in the VM by setextradata(), inserts it in the DMI area which is only accepted by some machines to activate the license, as is the case of, if I remember well, hp and dell.

But there are machines, I tested an asus, that are expecting the key string in the upper bios page, "0xf", that can't be reached by setextradata().

So, in these cases, either you compile VB from source or you insert it by brute force. I did the later and it worked.

It's easier in vmware player where you can replace the whole bios by config.

Are you a lawyer? Do you have reason why the qualified legal advice I
was given is incorrect? (read the bit about "unless you have a
developers license).

No, I'm not a lawyer, are you?