Re: who uses dual boot? [was: How to start using a free OS]

On 13/11/13 00:26, Scott Ferguson wrote:
On 13/11/13 09:10, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
On Tue, 2013-11-12 at 21:36 +0100, Alois Mahdal wrote:
1.8GHz dual core and 4G RAM
attempting Win XP in VBox for even the most simple
tasks was a royal PITA.

Then something is fishy.

(Also one reason to keep the Win in the dual-boot manner is that
I have a valid OEM license there, which I believe cannot be
migrated to VM.)

That's incorrect - I've done (automated) many, many times successfully
with all versions of Windoof except the latest. Your biggest problems
will be support for external devices (USB/LP/Com/Firewire) and that's
determined by, correct settings, CPU support.

He probably has an OEM SLP license, married to a key in the original machine bios, which won't work in the VM because it obviously has a different bios that doesn't have the key. I think there are ways of overcoming this, inserting the "key" in the VM bios, but I doubt it's legal.