Re: ANDROID

On Wed, 30 Oct 2013 23:35:37 +1100
Charlie <ariestao@skymesh.com.au> wrote:

>  On Wed, 30 Oct 2013 07:40:27 -0400 "Celejar celejar@gmail.com" sent
>  this:
>
> 	>The point here is that the FSF, who you consider "the right
> 	kind of nuts", *discourages* you from using Debian.
> >
> >Celejar
>
>   Not me. That might be your interpretation, it isn't mine.

Not sure what you mean, but if you're claiming that the FSF doesn't
discourage one from using Debian, here's what it says:

> Explaining Why We Don't Endorse Other Systems
>

> We're often asked why we don't endorse a particular system—usually a
> popular GNU/Linux distribution. The short answer to that question is
> that they don't follow the free system distribution guidelines. But
> since it isn't always obvious how a particular system fails to follow
> the guidelines, this list gives more information about the problems of
> certain well-known nonfree system distros. ...
>
> Here is a list of some popular nonfree GNU/Linux distributions in
> alphabetical order, with brief notes about how they fall short. ...
>
> Debian GNU/Linux
>
> Debian's Social Contract states the goal of making Debian entirely free
> software, and Debian conscientiously keeps nonfree software out of the
> official Debian system. However, Debian also provides a repository of
> nonfree software. According to the project, this software is “not part
> of the Debian system,” but the repository is hosted on many of the
> project's main servers, and people can readily learn about these
> nonfree packages by browsing Debian's online package database.
>
> There is also a “contrib” repository; its packages are free, but some
> of them exist to load separately distributed proprietary programs. This
> too is not thoroughly separated from the main Debian distribution.
>
> Previous releases of Debian included nonfree blobs with Linux, the
> kernel. With the release of Debian 6.0 (“squeeze”) in February 2011,
> these blobs have been moved out of the main distribution to separate
> packages in the nonfree repository. However, the problem partly
> remains: the installer in some cases recommends these nonfree firmware
> files for the peripherals on the machine.

http://www.gnu.org/distros/common-distros.html

I would say that the repeated assertions of 'problems' with Debian and
the explanation that it doesn't "follow the guidelines" and "falls
short" constitutes discouragement.

> Charlie

Celejar