Re: Choosing among "Desktop Enviroments" and/or "Windows Managers"

On 18 Sep 2013, berenger.morel@neutralite.org wrote:
[snip]	>
> So, if you want to try them (you said you have time, right? ;) )
> start with an easy one like i3, and if and when you will like the
> idea behind, feel free to try more advanced ones.

[snip]

I like i3 a lot but I don't like the default window arrangement in
columns across the screen. Stacked mode is an alternative but the window
titles take up a lot of room.

I prefer spectrwm, which gets less publicity but for me is cleaner and
more intuitive to use. Like i3, it is also configured in plain text. It
has all the features I want, and more.

My second preference is dwm. This is configured in C, which I don't
know, but it isn't difficult to figure out how it works in this case.
However, spectrwm adds some very useful features.

Actually, most tiling WMs are fairly similar in appearance and work in
much the same way. Altbough they are called tiling, I use spectrwm
fullscreen most of the time, and I think quite a few people do this.

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk
http://www.acupuncturecourse.org.uk