Re: Choosing among "Desktop Enviroments" and/or "Windows Managers"

On Mon 16 Sep 2013 at 10:06:32 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:

> /Background
> I'm relatively new to Linux. I got my feet wet by installing Squeeze

We are all relatively new. If you installed Squeeze a couple of years
ago and used it on a day-to-day basis you should now have a good feel
for Debian.

> (6.0.5) on a used laptop (Lenovo R61) purchased explicitly purchased
> for experimenting. Having used computers since Hector was a pup,
> accidents happen.

Hector? This is not a family history mailing list.

> As I have minimal to *NO INTERNET* access, when Debian 7.1 DVDs
> became available from vendors I purchased the 10 DVD set. I also
> purchased the live DVDs for Gnome, lxde, kde, and xfce.  I did some
> test runs of each. I chose xfce for my initial Wheezy install based
> almost exclusively on "look and feel". It felt "comfortable" and
> seemed to express my somewhat vague ideas of how a GUI should 'act'.

What does connecting to the internet have to do with Debian? You can
choose to connect or not; your choice. Xfce is a DE; it has no
preference for an internet connection.

> It was an educational experience. Each had something I'd like to see
> in an ideal installation. I also did more web browsing comparing
> "Desktop Environments" to "Windows Managers" and product comparisons
> within those classifications.

"Ideal installation"? What is that? I've got it using Debian; you must
not be trying hard enough.

> /Questions
> 1. Given that I prefer LILO over GRUB and xfce over Gnome/lxde/kde,
> what GUIs should I investigate further.

There is absolutely no connection between LILO, GRUB and the software
you mention. The question has no value.

> 2. Given that internet is effectively non-existent and
> internal/external disk space is effectively unlimited, how can I
> make as many as possible of the DE &/or WM on the distribution DVD
> simply available to experiment with?

This seems the nub of your post. Have you thought of just installing all
of them and then sorting out what you want to use?