Re: Thanks

There are a lot of other good (and also lots of bad) DEs, but Xfce4 is
the DE that is most similar to GNOME2 + stable + in official
repositories of Debian and many other distros. I suspect the OP wants
GNOME2, so recommending KDE (a good DE) or recommending Fluxbox and LXDE
(good DEs too) isn't good. To recommend something unstable as
Enlightenment or something that comes with similar issues as GNOME 3,
e.g. Cinnamon or something that isn't in official repositories from
Debian and most other distros, e.g. Mate isn't good too. IMO the OP
should test Xfce4. Just to name each DE we know and like isn't a help
for the OP.

2 Cents,
Ralf