Re: XFCE4 - gedit - was Re: Thanks

On Sun, Sep 1, 2013 at 11:54 AM, Zenaan Harkness <zen@freedbms.net> wrote:
> On 9/1/13, Joe Pfeiffer <pfeiffer@cs.nmsu.edu> wrote:
>>> I'm just going to revert to squeeze, that desktop actually worked.
>>
>> Another vote for xfce.  I switched to it quite a while ago, and have
>> been happy since.
>
> I find it adequate; ~8months now; I am however reasonable with the command line.
>
> I don't like mousepad editor however, and I don't gedit. So I installed gedit.

I think, but I am not sure, that mousepad is in there because it is
small and doesn't have a lot of dependencies. So it fits small
footprint installs.

Can't imagine any other reason for including it.

> But gnome apps aren't configuring properly; in particular, in the menu
> bar of gedit (and I've seen it elsewhere I think), all the menus are
> jammed up against each other - no nice spacing between them. Anyone
> know what I ought to install to make these gnome menus work properly
> with XFCE4 ?

Odd. I haven't seen that with gedit, neither in English nor Japanese sessions.

Default fonts issue maybe?

I've been looking at geany, and it looks interesting functionally, but
I'm not at all sold on it. Don't like lots of tool panes all over.
It's part of the reason I can't quite bring myself to use either
netbeans or eclipse regularly.

gedit works well enough for me, even though I pretty much keep gnome
off my system.

--
Joel Rees