Re: How to get rid of an entry in grub?

Dom grabbed a keyboard and wrote:
> On 31/08/13 19:46, David Guntner wrote:
>>
>> I suppose it exists on the partition in a sense, but within the
>> filesystem, it lives as /backup/etc/debian_version.  /backup is the only
>> mounted filesystem on /dev/sdb1.
>>
>> There's an actual /etc/debian_version file on sda5 (where / is mounted)
>> as well.
>
> os-prober doesn't care where a particular partition is currently
> mounted. It assumes that every partition might possibly be mounted as
> "/" and examines the contents to see if there are certain files and
> directories that look like they are part of a bootable system.
>
> It found etc/debian_version on sdb1 and therefore assumed that /dev/sdb1
> could be a bootable Debian system.

So it would seem. :-)  Yikes.  Well, I've got the os-prober config file
modified to cause it to ignore sdb1 now, so that takes care of it.
However, if there's a better way of telling it how to omit a given
partition without having to directly modify the config file, I'd love to
know.

I tried looking for a man page for os-prober, but no luck, and there's
not much there at /usr/share/doc/os-prober....  I'll dig around some and
see if I can find other info.  (I know someone provided a reference in
this thread (Brian, maybe?), but I've lost that E-Mail...  Not my day....)

                --Dave